Monday, March 28, 2011

insights from class

I really appreciated the things that we talked about in class today. The problems that might arise while I'm in the field are inevitable but I just have this feeling that I cannot possible guess what they will be. Or at least there will for sure be some things that come up that I never would have been able to prepare for. So I liked the thought that Ashley gave about the importance of being flexible. I have a project pretty well planned out and it almost seems like the way it is set up - especially the fact that it needs to match other projects that will be done in other countries in order to be effective- it seems that there is not a lot of room for changes to the project. This thought makes me a little stressed. But at the same time, I am coming to realize that this is not necessarily true. No project is perfect, with perfect methods that match completely from every side. If the project was too rigid, in fact, it would become less valid. I have to account for the differences in site and culture that come from being in Mexico. I have to adapt my project to fit to Mexico. If I am too rigid, there may be something that I miss entirely. --- Even if this means that my project ends up being useless after I'm done- or even completely failing- I am excited about the learning experience of being in Mexico and attempting to do something that I've never done before, with people that I've never met, in a place that I've never been, speaking a language in a way that I never have before. Just being able to do that in itself makes the experience a success.
Still I imagine that I will have moments of panic and worry as I try to figure out how to make sure that my project fits in with the culture. Or I'm even sure that I'll have difficulties in many of the areas that I listed on my paper today. How to prepare for them- be flexible- roll with the punches, as Ashley said. This is similar to what I said in my earlier post about just being patient. So maybe that makes this a reiteration. Really though, I think patience and flexibility are different and so it is good to be ready to have both skills when I get out into the field.

No comments:

Post a Comment