Monday, April 4, 2011

Culture Shock

So I really enjoyed the discussion in class today. I have a few thoughts about culture shock. First I think that it is important to realize that it is inevitable. Thinking that I will be somehow immune to it will not help me prepare for it. Also, this makes it so that I can realize that it is normal. Someone mentioned in class today that they would think to themselves- I'm not usually this grumpy/irritable- and this would help them understand that it was just a part of the culture shock. I think that this is a good thing to keep in mind. As well, it would be good that when in the honeymoon stage of the summer, to realize it and know that even though things seem so great now, ups and downs will come and that it is not biculturalism. Anyway, I think being aware that these stages and ups and downs are normal is a good way to cope with them while they are occurring. It is good to be self aware and not think that something is a bigger deal than it is.
With that said, I was also thinking of other ways to cope with culture shock. Someone mentioned not having too high of expectations or at least not too specific of an idea of what things will be like. We really can't tell beforehand what the experience will be like and when we have too specific of an idea it is for sure not going to be like that when we get there. So we will for sure be disappointed or shocked or it will somehow be harder to cope with it than if we had neutral expectations for the experience. Or even know that there will be some nights when I might cry or just be unhappy. This is not having low expectations, but it is being realistic and aware of the potential negative moments I might experience.
I also liked the coping mechanism mentioned- to use humor, or to laugh. I'm not sure which. I used this alllllll the time on my mission. I had a companion who said - you're either laughing or you're crying- so when we had hard days- which was often- we would laugh and joke around. Some of my later companions thought I was crazy but I was much more happy and could work better.
I also have a personal theory that when we're in a tough spot and are doing something really hard or uncomfortable just think of what a great story it will make someday. Even some of the uncomfortable moments that Ashley shared in class. They weren't pleasant at the time I'm sure but it was a great story to tell later and even a really unique experience that taught her a lot and she uses it now to teach us. I like thinking of the potential of a good story when I'm experiencing something really tough. It seems to give me a little perspective that the experience won't last forever- and even that thought can make me appreciate the experience a little more because I know that it won't last forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment