Friday, April 8, 2011

Fresh Ideas

So I have been thinking some more about the challenges that I will face when I am in Mexico attempting to apply some of these cross-cultural skills and actually do this project that I have been preparing for. It is quite difficult to figure out what to do when you don't actually know what it will be like and you kind of just have to wait and see. But as I was giving my presentation today one of the challenges that I am most concerned for is helping the kids be motivated to do the exercises that I have for them. I mentioned that I would try to find common movements that the kids do everyday and compare them to the movements that I would like them to perform. Someone suggested somehow making it into a game. I think that is a great idea. I'm not quite sure how I will do it but I've been brainstorming a bit. SOmething that I have thought of is explaining the exercises through some sort of story or rhyme. Kind of like the rhyme about the bunny when you tie your shoes. This is the rhyme that I found online: "Bunny ears, bunny ears, playing by a tree. Criss-crossed the tree, trying to catch me. Bunny ears, Bunny ears, jumped into the hole, popped out the other side beautiful and bold."
I'm not sure if I could come up with a rhyme but I think that I could come up with some sort of a story.
For instance, with the squat I could have them pretend they are ducking under something overhead. The bar they have to hold straight over their head could have some sort of food that they can't spill balanced on it. They have to keep their heels down- maybe their heels are on a mouses tail and if they lift them up the mouse will get away.
These are just ideas that came from the top of my head. I'd also like to incorporate cultural practices or other things that they are familiar with. For instance, I could have story with food they eat every day, or animals that are around the Ranchos. I could even use specific people that they know- like their teachers.
I'd like to come up with some ideas now of how I would do this with kids here in Provo just to have some sort of a base to work with. Then I can change the stories or rhymes to make them fit the culture of the Ranchos. Maybe there are already some rhymes or songs that the kids are familiar with. I could try to modify these somehow.
It's nice to have an idea like this because I have honestly not been sure what I can do to prepare myself for some of the difficulties that I am sure I will encounter. This gives me more of a concrete idea to work from. Maybe it won't work at all but it will probably lead me to figure out something that will work.

No comments:

Post a Comment