Wednesday, February 16, 2011

short thoughts

I looked over Amy's proposal again for her project in 2009. I'm really impressed with it and fear that the information that I have thus far collected is not quite adequate for my proposal. Luckily, I have time to get it there. Also, I have more information regarding the procedures for the project. I still am not sure about recruitment. Especially after talking about IRB protocol on Monday I realize that I have to be sure that my recruitment techniques do not go against the IRB standards. I will be dealing with a vulnerable population- children- and I will need to be sure that I do not coerce or manipulate them in any way in order to get them to participate in my project. In addition, one comment that was made on Monday made me think a little about giving back to the people. I need to be sure that my time there is not only spent developing my project and my knowledge but also I need to be sure that I am giving back to those who help me. For Amy's project, she brought small inexpensive gifts to give to those who participated in the project. I will need to make sure that this is appropriate in Mexican culture but I think that it is a good idea. As well, I feel that appreciation needs to be expressed not only to those who agree to be subjects in the study but to all those whom I interact with. I don't necessarily plan on buying gifts for them but it is something to keep in mind while I am there so that the people enjoy having me there and then afterward still want to have more students come to their homes.

No comments:

Post a Comment