Monday, February 14, 2011

Testing Methods

One thing about doing this kind of research and preparation for a field study is that answering one question seems to bring up two or three more questions. One of the questions that I have had is what are the tests that we are specifically going to use to test the kids. I was able to get an article from Dr. Mitchell that describes the fitness testing that I will need to administer to the kids. Apparently it is slightly different from what they had Amy do in Ghana. The exercises consist of deep squats, hurdles, lunges, and push-ups. The nice thing about the article is that it describes exactly what I will be looking for when I'm testing the kids. One thing that I know will be difficult is effectively explaining to the kids how to perform the tests. I taught karate for three years and we would frequently have the kids do push-ups. Despite my best efforts and ability to clearly explain it to them in English, there were always several "saggy-bottomed" push-ups or "teepee" push-ups. So it was kind of difficult to get them to understand the placement of their bodies and how they need to hold themselves to do it right. One thing that I am hoping will help is that I will likely be working with each child individually. In karate I would usually have a class of 15-25 students and I could not give them each individual attention to know how to do the exercises. With the kids in Mexico I will have more time and I will be able to work one on one with them. I'll just need to practice a lot of patience.  
There are a lot of technical tests and procedures that I am going to need to understand and perform while I am out in the field. I'll be honest- it is starting to overwhelm me just a bit. Luckily, Dr. Mitchell and Dr. Johnson are both planning of holding several training meetings in order to teach me what I will be doing when I get out into the field.
I also wanted to briefly comment on a discussion I had with a girl who is from Mexico City. I told her about my project and she said that when she was little and going to school posture and sitting up straight in the chairs in class was very important and they were very strict about it. I have not read any articles or studies that have described this and so it was nice to get the information directly from her. I do not know if this will still be the case after the 20 years since she has been in elementary school or if the schools where I will be in Mexico will be the same as in Mexico City- but I will expect to see a lot of differences between American and Mexican schools.

No comments:

Post a Comment