Thursday, January 6, 2011

How it all Started

What college student doesn't want to go to exciting and new destinations to explore cultures and languages and people? What college student has the means or time or reasons to go do so? For me, Barbara Simmons, a senior studying Exercise Science at Brigham Young University, I have a thirst for adventure as well as a level head. I knew I wanted to go somewhere that I had never been and but I also new I needed to make it count for more than just personal satisfaction. I needed a project that would apply to my field as well as have a positive impact on others.
So with a lot of searching I discovered the Field Studies program at BYU. I won't go into detail to explain what a field study is but I will briefly introduce my project.
The purpose of my project is to study to cultural impact on activity levels and components of physical fitness- especially with regard to posture and trunk stability in children ages 10-12. It is a project that has already been done by a student at BYU in Ghana and Provo. I will be taking the project to Mexico this summer. Ideally, other students will take this project to other areas of the world. With the results we can compare the data to find out which types of activities are most beneficial for higher fitness regarding trunk stability and other physical capacities.
It is my goal to publish this project in a peer-reviewed scientific journal and present it at a physical therapy conference. That means that I have a lot of work to do. This semester I will be preparing myself and my project so that when I get to Mexico I have somewhat of an idea of what I'm supposed to do there.
It's gonna be great! - But I have tons to do before then.

No comments:

Post a Comment