Monday, January 17, 2011

Thoughts from previous projects

I was able to look up Amy Nagle's research proposal for her study of the same project in Ghana. It was very helpful. First, she brought up a lot of points that I hadn't even thought about. For instance, I need to find more statistics and reports on physical activities and obesity relating to Mexico. She has some for Ghana and is able to compare them to the United States, thus giving supporting evidence that there is indeed a difference in activity and health between the two countries showing the reviewer that the project is indeed well planned and useful.
In addition, Amy talks specifically about gaining rapport with the adults in the community so that she can then ask them to allow their children to participate in the study. One very specific way in which she plans to do this is through "prayer time." From what I understood in the project, it is a social gathering held ever night where she can meet people. Is there something like this in Mexico. I imagine that there is. I went to a "fiesta" the other night that primarily consisted of Peruvians. They were dancing and eating and talking. Anyway, it was very normal for them and I imagine that in other Latin cultures like Mexico there are also activities like this.
 -Even while writing this I have been thinking that I should look up the holidays that will occur in Mexico while I am there. As well, those at the fiesta were dancing a ton and seemed to be very familiar with each of the different types of dancing etc. - Is this something that children are taught in schools or is it that they just do it a lot and so they know how? do they do it enough to affect their core stability?
Going back to y previous thoughts about how to gain rapport with the adults- I am wondering what types of things will I need to do in order to meet people to work with. Are there daily or weekly social gatherings? Do I just need to go knock on doors? I was planning to meet the kids through the schools- are there opportunities at the schools to also meet their parents?
Also, Amy talked about sharing information with the people so as to give back or develop a reciprocating relationship with them. I'm not really quite sure what she means or what she did. I think that the idea of "giving back" will help me gain more trust with the people there. What kinds of information do I have access to that the Mexican's would be interested in? Also, what could I prepare beforehand as a type of "compensation" for those that participate in the study- a small gift of some sort? Amy also did this in her project. It is common in the Ghanaian culture to give gifts as compensation. Is this the same practice in Mexico?
A lot of these questions, I feel could be answered most effectively by talking to someone who has been to Mexico or is from there. I will have to make some more friends.

1 comment:

  1. Barbara, these are such great questions. I think trying to build rapport with those I am around is something I will be doing for the rest of my life! And just you wait for our first fiesta! We will eat mole out the wazoo :)

    ReplyDelete