Sunday, January 9, 2011

To do List:

Sometimes taking on projects like this can seem overwhelming and impossible. It's like what my biology teacher used to say "How do you eat and elephant?" . . . "One bite at a time." So I figure I better start figuring out what my "bites" are going to be for this project.
Here is a list just from the top of my head:
Read up on Mexican culture and the crazy awesome stuff they do and what life is like
How the heck am I going to find subjects/ volunteers?
  • in the schools 
  • in my host family
  • go door to door
  • put up flyers
  • offer some sort of compensation- what? tamales?
  • ?????
IRB approval- woah I don't even know where to begin with that yet so I won't even worry about it for the moment.
I need to figure out how to conduct the study.
  • Talk to Dr. Mitchell to get a more in depth understanding of how to take the measurements.
  • Email Amy- the girl that conducted the study in Ghana.
  • Talk to the PTs in my internship.
  • Find other articles related to my study
I need to practice conducting my study. How?
  • On my nieces/nephews
  • find kids- neighbors
  • also figure out how to explain it to adults so they know what is going on
    • what are the main points?
    • How can I simplify it to explain it in spanish and also to uneducated rural mexicans?
      • Start with the vocab- 2 new Spanish words a day relating to my project.
    • Practice it on people- first Americans then Spanish speakers
    • Get my friend from Spain to help me- and maybe those coordinators
Write the questionnaire or get it from Amy
Translate the questionnaire to Spanish
  • get help with that!
Improve that Spanish
  • Institute in Spanish (on going)
  • Talking with Sylvia (on going)
  • Cultural email from Natalie- pick an activity
  • Go to a Mexican restaurant/tienda speak with the natives
  • Two new Spanish vocab words a day (on going)
  • Etc etc etc
immunizations
course contracts- sociology and anthropology
flights
passport whatnot
scholarship applications- ISP, grants, BYU
that's all I want to write about today but before I end I'll make a couple goals for this week
  • pick a Spanish service activity to participate in
  • email Amy
  • research Mexico
  • find other articles related to my study
Okay that's it. I'll let you know what I've done next time.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! This is awesome! I would recommend coming back to this list every now and then, because I think you said it all and then some about what you need to do. Nice planning.

    ReplyDelete